I recently got a promotion that started on Twitter.
Most of you who know me, know I am still fairly new on the sales side of the business (my background is in real estate appraisal). In fact, on June 4th, 2008 I wasn't even one full year into the business when an anonymous tweet came through.
I didn't follow this person, didn't even recognize her. Loved your video on ActiveRain! Opening a new office nearby. Want to chat? was her tweet...
She is a big ActiveRain fan. She found my winning video there. She hit up my profile and thankfully disregarded my absolutely pathetic excuse for "points".
My ActiveRain profile links to my LinkedIn profile, my AIM account and practically every single way humanly possible to reach me online! She read my blogs.
We communicated on and off for 12 days with out speaking a word "live" to each other. We were obviously both very comfortable and adept at these social media methods so through IM, twitter, text, etc...we learned a lot about each other. I Googled her and her broker/owner. She did the same to me (and STILL wanted me to come in to interview! Imagine that?) Her office had a "secret announcement" coming up that she was extremely excited about but couldn't tell me just yet.
Nearly two weeks later I was sitting with the owner/broker of the office discussing an opportunity that was being presented to me based on my pioneering, progressive, Web 2.0 ways. Keep in mind, as a rookie REALTOR struggling to survive his first year in the biz, I had no "Top Producer" status, no big book of business and no money coming in the door with me on Day 1.
My resume was online. It was my social media presence. My "impressive" connections to industry "heavy weights". It was the creativity shown in the property videos and websites I had created. It was a digital map of my past, present and in her mind, my future.
My local twitter pal Aaron Strout wrote an awesome post about a similar non-real estate experience he had recently in the hiring process.
If I was a broker, hiring a staff of agents, I would:
- Google their name, alone, in quotes, with "real estate" on the end...try a bunch of combination.
- Read their blog. Don't have one? Next! (that's just me...but if less than 5% of agents are actually blogging, there are certainly some success stories in the other 95%)
- Check their LinkedIn page. Any recommendation on there?
- Follow them on Twitter.
- Set up a google alert for them and see how often they are showing up online.
- Send them an e-mail that needs a response "ASAP"..see you quickly they respond. If not quickly, why?
- Send them a text message seeking a passive reply. How quickly do they text back?
I'm not saying that social media is changing the way all HR departments operate and hiring processes run, but for certain types of industries, there is definitely a new twist in the recruiting game.
So if you are in one of those industries that might be effected by the evolution of social media (um...in case you were wondering, YES, real estate is one of them), get yourself out there. I was pretty impressed on a recent Google search I did for Mike Lefebvre Real Estate.
Just by getting my name out there, making some connections within my industry, engaging in the conversations going on and adding a healthy dose of shameless self-promotion, I was in a position someone with my limited production should not have been in.
I got the job. Started officially today. And I'm very optimistic about where this turn will take me.
At the end of the day, real estate is still going to be about the time you are spending face-to-face with qualified buyers and sellers. But if a little social networking/blogging ultimately gives me the opportunity for a promotion that will get me more face-to-face time with these qualified buyers and sellers, I'd be crazy not to, right?
Oh, I'm also meeting with a local couple I connected with on Trulia Voices later this week to discuss helping them buy their first home. Haven't spoken "live" yet, but we sure know a whole lot about each other.
If this is what Web 2.0 is delivering for REALTORS willing to put in the time, sign me up! PS- Connect with me here!